When you're asked to come speak at your alma-mater, the same institution that 'taught you', and the notion is to 'ignite passion'; it could seem daunting. With all the endurance workouts I have to offer, where do I begin?
After much contemplation, there was truly only one answer: Purpose! "Why exactly are you doing what you're doing?" Does it bring you joy, or do you feel depleted? That can be a difficult question to ask and answer, for at times, the honest answer may not be what we want to hear. However, since we only have one shot at this particular life, wasting time is not an option. One of the best ways TO NOT waste precious time is to know what your 'target' is, in regards to what you're doing. If you don't have a 'target', how are you going to know when you achieve what you're setting out to accomplish? With no 'purpose', good luck with that!
In the self-created hamster wheel of our daily lives, it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day tasks, targets, and deadlines. But, it's the proverbial "why" behind what we do that truly fuels our journey and defines our success.
As my core audience for this presentation was professors within the Education Department, we focused on their occupation.
You see, purpose isn't just a buzzword; it's a driving force that can lead to remarkable achievements. At its core, purpose is about making a positive impact. It's about understanding the bigger picture and how our actions contribute to a better world. When we align our work with our purpose, the results are nothing short of transformative.
You need to look no further to the power of purpose than Richard Buckminster Fuller. Go ahead, look him up!
Here are some key thoughts on the power of purpose:
1. Motivation: Purpose gives us the drive to overcome challenges and persevere in the face of adversity. It fuels our passion and keeps us going even when the currents gets rough.
2. Innovation: A clear purpose can spark innovation and creative thinking. When we're driven by a higher cause, we're more likely to find inventive solutions to complex problems.
3. Connection: Purpose fosters a sense of belonging. When we share a common mission, we create strong bonds with our colleagues and a supportive network to lean on.
4. Impact: Purpose-driven work isn't just personally fulfilling; it can change lives. Every small action contributes to a larger, positive impact on our communities and the world.
5. Resilience: In the face of uncertainty and change, a strong sense of purpose acts as a North Star. It helps us adapt, pivot, and grow.
Challenge yourself to reflect on your purpose, whether personally or professionally. Start small with baby steps, to avoid confusion of the two or becoming overwhelmed. How does your work/life align with your values and goals? How can you infuse more purpose into what you do?
Share your thoughts on the power of purpose in the comments. What drives you in your career and/or in life? How has purpose shaped your journey? Let's inspire and learn from each other!